Monday, December 9, 2013

Weekend Activites

So this weekend's activities didn't go quite as planned. I headed to the doctor on Thursday even because I  was having trouble with my breathing. (I have asthma for those of you who don't know) Come to find out, sinus infection, ear infection and referral for a pulmonary function test. BUMMER!

Like the good little athlete I am, first person I texted was my coach, Brian. This is what transpired!
This is nothing new. Brian is my voice of reason, and I'm his relentless athlete who tries to talk him out of his rational. I knew the best thing for me wasn't to get in the pool the day after being given steroids and antibiotics for an ear infection, but my mind and body were already set for a swim in the morning! None the less, I listened, and I rode my bike for 30 minutes instead! (*How I've grown - There was a time when recovery meant nothing to me, and I would have jumped in that pool without a second thought. I now know, it's not worth it in the long run.)

Saturday, instead of a run test - which obviously would not have been a good idea - I rode my bike in zones 1-2 for an hour. I cleaned my house, did some laundry, and had lots of cuddle time with my fur-babies! (*Lesson - recovery is imperative to repair the body! Sometimes I have to talk myself into doing nothing (not even folding clothes) but I never regret when I do)


My favorite date night is sushi night! Hands down. Sushi does not make me feel anything but satisfied after I eat it. Only thing is, I LOVE soy sauce with my sushi. I have been using Bragg's Liquid Aminos at home, but this weekend I decided 'who cares' and I took my soy sauce to the restaurant with me! Bragg's has 160mg of sodium compared to the 900mg in a regular bottle of soy sauce, and it tastes so good that even Jason ate it instead of the restaurant's! (*Lesson - Who cares what others think. Do what makes you happy, and if that means adapting your restaurant meal to fit your needs by taking something of your own, then DO IT!)


And last but not least, I talked last month about adding my core/hip/glute work regularly to my schedule now instead of waiting until January...well after my easy ride Saturday and my 1:20 interval ride on Sunday I got down on the floor and performed my routine. As usual, I had a training partner, except instead of lying under me during my planks, he decided he wanted to sit on top of me during my bridges and crunches! What would my life be without these fur-babies? (*Lesson - My core lost more strength than I could have imagined in just a few weeks off. Adding core daily has made a huge impact in my core sessions already. In just a few weeks I have been able to advance my exercises...Never give up just because it's hard!)

And in case you're wondering how I'm able to accomplish all my training, racing, house work, puppy cuddles, working full-time, family activities, and date nights without loosing my mind....I have the most amazing and supportive husband! (who also works on Sundays and sometimes Saturdays too like this weekend) He doesn't question my training schedule, and he loves my drive and passion for what I do. Even with the amazing family support I have, and the unconditional love from my dad who is also my travel side-kick and #1 supporter and fan, it wouldn't be possible without such a supportive and understanding counter-part! Who also, helps unload the dishwasher and takes out the trash without being asked! ;-)  (*Lesson here - have people in your life that support you and enhance your drive for whatever your passion in life is. Negative people have no (or limited if you can't avoid them) place in your life!)

Happy Monday! Hope you all have a fabulous week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment