Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Marshall Marathon Race Report

My idea of a race report is to write it as soon after the even as I can as to remember as many details as possible. I then later reflect on that race report periodically and learn more things about the race as the days and weeks go by. It has been no secret that my goal for November 10, 2013 was to qualify for the Boston Marathon by racing in under 3:35:00. This race was not my day, and while many have asked when the next one is, I do not have an answer. My body is ready for a break. I have not discussed with my coach another marathon at this time. I do not know if one will fit into next years race calendar or when during the year I feel is my best shot at qualifying. 

So here it is, my raw report. The same one that gets sent to my coach the day after the event when emotions are still running high, and many details are still fresh in my head. 

This was definitely the most inconsistent I've ran (mile to mile) during this training block. My morning was typical routine. Nothing different. There weren't as many runners as I had thought and not many pace groups so it was pretty easy to just line up at the 3:35 spot without many runners in front of me.

As soon as the gun went off everything seemed like total chaos. At first I felt too slow, then I felt too fast. I couldn't get into a rhythm and that's how the remainder of the day would go. There were more rollers during the race than I had anticipated. Even when trying to slow down my HR stayed through the roof. My legs felt like they weren't doing any work. The pace felt comfortable. I tried to force myself to hold back a few times but nothing was helping so I just went with the pace bc my legs felt OK and holding back wasn't helping.

Through the first half I felt great. Passed the half clock and saw 1:47:50. It felt perfect. From 13 to 14 I felt great I knew all I had to do was hold the same pace and I was golden. Somewhere shortly before mile 14 we turned a corner and I felt like I was running in place. I'd try to surge through, but end up dropping back bc I could barely keep my head up. I fought from 14-18 trying to calculate if I held back a little now that I could still make it up at the end. But the longer I went into the wind the worse I felt. Eventually my right hip flexor would start to hurt and I had stopped to stretch it a few times.

There was a point where I calculated how long I had left and knew I could run 8 miles in enough time if I really pushed it...unfortunately I then realized I had 9 miles left not 8. Heart broken!! Between 18-19 I had a mental battle that left my body with something to be desired. I was mentally quitting. At mile 19 I knew I had to suck it up. Quitting wasn't an option, and at that point (physically) suffering was not something I wanted to do since I was mentally beating myself up. I didn't want to risk tweaking any of the nagging pains I had so I decided to finish strong but not all out. It was rough. My body still didn't feel great, but I was able to semi-enjoy the last 10K and kind of look around.

I know I didn't race smart. I should have held back and tried to keep get my HR under control, and I also should have pushed harder during the second half and I still may have been able to pull something out toward the end. But I broke mentally and let the physical pains get to me.

I don't really have much good to say, even though I know I should. It wasn't my day. The weather was unexpected but I feel like I still should have been able to hold it together longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment