Sunday, November 17, 2013

Diet Changes: A few small steps can snowball in success

After Ironman Lake Placid I decided to make some major changes to my daily diet. I gave myself a week to enjoy some of the foods I had been waiting until after the race to enjoy and then it was a total food overhaul.

Initially, I cut out all artifical sweetners and limited my processed foods and indulgence meals. Where I work everyone gets a cake for their birthday. I use to be that girl that ate it because I thought I deserved it due to all my training. Now I was the athlete saying "I don't eat that." rather than "I can't eat that." It was so much easier than I had dreamed it would. Apparently, my goal for a Boston Qualifying marathon time in November was driving me more than I had ever imagined it would.

The more I continued to make better choices throughout the day, the more I realized how wonderful I felt and how amazing my workouts were going. I was nailing paces and distances that use to be difficult and some that were even too fast to even be a possibility.

My new found tummy and training success had me wanting more. I have been really into blogs and following fellow runners/triathletes on Instagram and realized how amazing these athletes were and how little meat they ate. I started experimenting and the less chicken, pork, steak, etc. that I ate the lighter, and heathier I felt. There it was again, the HR and pace on my Garmin decreasing as my mileage and speed workouts were increasing. I contacted Marni Sumbal of Trimarni Coaching and Nutrition. {www.trimarnicoach.com} and together we came up with a game plan to continue to fuel my success. (To date, it has been about 5-6 weeks since I last ate meat. I really don't remember the exact day)

Instead of chicken, pork, ground beef, turkey...etc. I now find my protein sources from nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, tempeh, fish (averaging 1x/week at most) I've also been more aware to how much protien is in other sources of food. It's incredible. I don't remember the last time I cooked anything using canned "cream of" soups or any package that has more than 3 ingredients! (Usually that's mixed veggies)

Instead of granola bars and cereal, I have oats or plain greek yogurt with fruit, cinnamon, and seeds. I also eat more fruits and vegetables than I use to. Which instantly plays a huge part in a cleaner diet. On days when I train in the morning I'll put together some oats with almond milk, protein powder, chia and sunflower seeds, craisins, and unsweetened coconut flakes. Then in the morning I'll add a chopped apple and either heat for 45seconds-1min or eat it cold. On days when my training is extra long I might add in a few dark chocolate chips for fun!

Here are a few examples of my recent creations.
Lettuce, rice (cooked in pineapple juice), carrots, roasted peppers and onions, avacado and pineapple.
Sides: Cottage cheese and fresh artisan bread.

Salmon with sauteed apple and onion on a bed of brown rice and a side of broccoli

Taco Night:
Lean ground beef for Jason and Boca Veggie "Meat" crumbles for me.
Toppings: Corn, black beans, lettuse, guacamole, salsa, carrots, cheese


Taco Salad
 
Left over quinoa, frozen mixed veggies and broccoli with sauteed tempeh.


**I am not a dietian or nutritionist. I solely base my decisions off of experimentation and reading/researching for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Maria, I have been truly inspired by you and Marni. I love all your food postings and I have been making progress in the kitchen by following your steps :) I never liked meet anyway but thought I "had to eat" it to be healthy. Thank God this is not true! Thanks for sharing your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration my friend! This just goes to proove that if you work hard enough at your diet, success is in the making and will come! Everyone is different, yes, but anyone can change their life styles to live healther!! Thank you for your posts; I love that I can see the progress of yet another individual who loves challenges, races, and working out. Stay healthy my friend...Again, thanks for sharing--might find myself in the kitchen more haha! :) --Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I love hearing that this is making a difference! Experiment with what works for your body and start eliminating what makes you feel "blah" the foods will be different for everyone!

    ReplyDelete